Exercises You Can Do In Your Hot Tub
Blog, Exercise, Health
When you invested in a hot tub for your backyard, did you know you also invested in your own private gym? You have everything you need at your own disposal for the perfect aquatic workout. Aquatic workouts are known to be one of the most effective forms of exercise for quick fat burning. So much so that even the simplest aquatic exercises bring an array of health benefits.
Due to water’s natural resistance, exercising in your hot tub can strengthen your muscles, increase your heart rate or boost your cardio intensity, which helps reduce the risk of coronary heart disease all while effectively trimming excess fat. These exercises can also strengthen your lung capacity and help alleviate asthma symptoms.
It’s never too late to begin a great workout routine, so why not start today? Allot a specific time of day to incorporate the hot tub workout below and continue to do it on a regular basis to help bring your body back into shape. For optimum health, consider revising your diet to include a healthy balance of fresh vegetables, fruit, and proteins, while drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Most importantly, consult your doctor prior to beginning a new exercise routine to ensure you are healthy enough to support the increase in activity.
Before getting started, do a few warm-ups to prepare your body and loosen your muscles. Complete 3 to 5 repetitions of each.
- Neck Bends: Bend your neck toward the side alternatively for 8 counts.
- Side Bends: Hands on your hips then bend from the waist toward one side, then come back up. Do the same on the other side. Do 4 counts each side.
- Shoulder Shake/Roll: Rotate your shoulders in a circular motion raising both shoulders up toward the ears and down. Do this for 8 counts.
- Arm Circles: Extend your arms out at both sides then rotate forward for 4 counts then do reverse for another 4 counts.
Once you’re warmed up, it’s time to get started with your water exercise routine.
- Side Leg Extension: Sit on your hot tub seat and support your back. (If your seats are extra deep, you may need to insert a pool pillow or float behind you for added support.) Extend your legs straight and raise them alternatively. Make sure to contract your abdominal muscles, then spread both legs out and point your toes. As you put down your legs, flex your feet. You can do 8 counts, and repeat 3 times.
- Bicycle: Sit on your hot tub seat, make sure you are supported well. Lift up your legs and rotate in bicycle motion – slowly. Make sure to tighten your abdomen. You can start at a slow pace and do 12 counts. Try to do 3 repetitions per set.
- Jack-Knives: Stay seated on your hot tub and, again, support your back. Tighten your core then bend your legs and bring them to your chest, make sure to point your toes while doing this. Then, extend and open your legs opposite side of the hot tub. This will slightly arch your back, and make sure to contract your stomach and use your abdominal muscles while doing this (not your back muscles). Do 12 counts then repeat.
Stretch out your muscles while you’re still immersed in the warm water, and then repeat gentle stretching once you are out of the hot tub.
The hot tub is a great place to relax and release stress, but using it for exercise is perfect, too! Just make sure you are always hydrated and the temperature is well modulated.
In need of a hot tub to work out in the comfort of your own home? Give the hot tub experts at HotSpring Spas of Music City/HotSpring Spas of the Upper Cumberland today.
“Every day made better” ®
About HotSpring Spas of Music City
With 3 locations in Crossville, Franklin, and Lebanon, our mission is to provide Middle Tennessee with the best name hot tubs, swim spas, and saunas. We carry the entire line of HotSpring® and Freeflow® spas and accessories, Endless Pools®, Helo® saunas, Covana® covers, HotSpring®, SpaGuard®, and Silk Balance water care products.
We back up our product with expertise and a get-it-done-right-the-first-time water care and maintenance service. We don’t sell pools or multiple brands of hot tubs and saunas. We feel it’s important to focus on selling the best, not everything.
The staff at HotSpring Spas of Music City has two things to focus on: quality product and top-notch service. We believe that a business cannot succeed without a focus on both. That’s why we strive to keep customers happy over the long haul. If you’re interested in improving your health and wellness with a new hot tub, swim spa, or sauna, contact us today.